
Safaricom and the M-PESA Foundation have committed KES 114 million towards the 37th edition of the Rhino Charge Challenge set for May 30 in Samburu County.
The funding will support conservation projects led by Rhino Ark Kenya Charitable Trust, including fencing and protection of the Mount Elgon Forest’s Suam Block and restoration of the Mau Forest Complex across Narok, Kericho and Bomet counties.
Out of the total amount, the M-PESA Foundation will contribute KES 94 million towards environmental conservation programmes. Part of the funding will also support the Mount Kenya Forest Rehabilitation and Protection Project in Tharaka Nithi County.
Safaricom PLC will provide an additional KES 20 million to support participating teams and provide network connectivity during the annual off-road event.
Speaking during the cheque handover ceremony at Safaricom headquarters in Nairobi, Safaricom CEO Peter Ndegwa said sustainability remains central to the company’s long-term vision.
“This year, we are proud to commit KES 114 million through the M-PESA Foundation and Safaricom. Our support for the Rhino Charge reflects our commitment to practical conservation efforts that protect Kenya’s natural heritage while driving innovation and resilience,” he said.
According to the company, KES 17 million will support three participating teams, including Car No. 44 led by Adil Khawaja, the EV Explorers team led by Richard Kiplagat, and the all-women Zambarau Heels on the Wheel team led by Agnes Mwangi.
The remaining KES 3 million will be used for connectivity aid for the occasion by employing the use of 5G technology.
Car No. 44 will get KES 15 million while EV Explorers and Zambarau Heels on the Wheel will both receive KES 1 million.

This year’s Rhino Charge is projected to feature over 55 contestants including defending champions Team Huzi and the famous all-women team called Zambarau.
Elizabeth Wanjiku, a member of Zambarau Heels on the Wheel, expressed gratitude at the sponsorship which she felt will boost their involvement in the event.
“We being an all-women team, such sponsorship gives us the courage and encouragement to go ahead and take part in the competition while also promoting environmental conservation,” she added.
Richard Kiplagat, leader of EV Explorers Team, noted that the sponsor would enable them to promote the potential of electric cars in difficult terrain.
“This is our second year that we have been sponsored by Safaricom. We are encouraged to perform better than before and continue to promote electric mobility and environmental conservation,” he stated.
Last year, Rhino Charge competition conducted in Baringo County generated KES 269.5 million for conservation purposes of conserving the water towers in the country.
Safaricom noted that over the last decade, it has participated in sponsoring the Rhino Charge competitions in efforts that have seen over KES 2.6 billion collected for conservation projects in the country.
According to Christian Lambrechts, director of Rhino Ark Conservation, over 650 km of electric fences have been put up to protect people and wildlife.
“The impact of this initiative has been significant for both conservancies and communities,” he said.
The Rhino Charge is an annual 4×4 off-road competition that raises funds for environmental conservation and the protection of Kenya’s major water towers.






